In the words of Stephen, Market Muscles’ founder, “Your student section is a MASSIVE asset that you should be taking advantage of – and it’s easy to set up!” With the coronavirus pandemic closing gyms and keeping people inside, you may be wondering how to keep your students engaged. With your Market Muscles Student Section, you can share important updates and spread the word about any online classes you’re providing.
Haven’t set your student section up yet? Here’s how:
- Log in to the backend of your site.
- Across the top of the backend, find “Settings and Tools.” From there, click into “Student Settings” and you’ll find all of the settings for your Student Section.
- The first tab you’ll see is the “Password” tab. Set a password for your Student Section. We recommend making the password as easy as possible so your students can remember how to get into the section. All of your students will use the same password – it can be as simple as “karate” or your school name.
- The second tab is the “Announcement” tab. This will be a bar that shows across the top of your student section. It is meant to be used as a call-to-action for an important announcement you want your students to see. For example, “Our studio is closed, but online classes are available. Click to learn more.” You can link the announcement to a blog post or meeting page for your live classes. The announcement bar will follow students on every page they click on.
- The third tab is the “Dashboard” tab. You can put a featured image, similar to a cover photo, on your Student Section dashboard. For example, you could upload an image letting your students know about your online or live classes. Market Muscles has created an image that you can use for this, which can be found below. You can link the featured image to another webpage with more information.
- The fourth tab is the “Virtual Classes” tab. To add the disclaimer below the “Join Now” button on your Virtual Classes i your Student Section, just enter the information you want displayed in the text box in this section.
- The fifth tab is the “Schedule” tab. To add your entire schedule for your students to access quickly, just upload your schedule in this section.
- The sixth and last tab is the “Reviews” tab. If you want to ask your students to leave you reviews, just ask them in the content text box. Next, add the URLs for your review pages so your students can easily navigate to the pages.
Once your student section is set up, you’ll want to start adding posts to it. You have the options to add four different types of posts: Curriculum, News, Documents, and Events.
To add information to your Student Section (we’ll use the coronavirus pandemic and taking your classes online as an example for your posts):
- From the backend of your site, click into “Students” in the blue panel on the left of your screen.
- Click into the “News” section. Add a new post that talks specifically about what’s going on with your school and what the process is to join your online classes. Put info about classes being closed, what dates you’re planning on being closed, how to join classes, etc.
- Click into Virtual Classes in the panel under Students to create easy-access links for your online classes. Select “Add New” and give your Virtual Class a title (you’ll likely want to do this for each program you offer). Since most of our clients are using Zoom for virtual training, the Type will default to Zoom, but you can also set that to “other.” Set a featured image for your program’s virtual classes. Then, in content, add a summary of the virtual program, such as age ranges or belt levels. To input the schedule, select “Add a New Date” and enter the day and time. Continue selecting “Add a New Date” until you’ve added all of your class times. Next, paste your Zoom Meeting ID and Zoom Join URL into the text boxes. Enter your button text, such as “Join Now.” Publish.
- Click into Events in the panel under Students and create new events for all of the events that you will be running, for example “Storytelling with Sensei.”
- Add a new event post. Give the event a title, give the event a date and time (be sure to include end date and time). Give a description in the content box such as “Join us live.” For the button text use a phrase like “Sign up now.” The button URL should be a link to your online event or an offer page for your in-person events. We suggest using Zoom for your online events, so you’d include that meeting link. Once you’ve added all of the necessary information, click “Publish.”
- Once your online classes actually occurs, you can utilize the Curriculum section under Students for replays.
- To create a category, click the Category field underneath Curriculum. Click “add new.” Give the category a name, such as “online class replays” and click “add new category.”
- Once the category is created, click into the Curriculum section. Click “add new” and give the post a name (for example, program and date of class: replay). Enter content if you’d like.
- Take your class video and upload into YouTube or Vimeo. Copy and paste the embed link into the PRIMARY VIDEO text box. If you have other videos to embed, select “add video.” Assign the category “online class replays” on the right side, click “Publish.”
- Your EMBED LINK is not the same thing as the URL for your video. If you’re not sure where to find the embed link, Garrett from the Market Muscles support team put together a quick video tutorial to explain.
- If you’re confused on how to add content to your student section, head over to the Market Muscles Client Facebook Group. Stephen posted a live demonstration on how to get everything ready – just search for “Using Your Student Only Section to Respond to the Coronavirus Pandemic.”
If you’re adding to your Student Section for the first time, the Market Muscles support team will need to add it to your navigation panel. Once you set your section up, send an email to email@example.com and they’ll get it taken care of!